Saturday, November 17, 2012

To Blog or Not to Blog

Ok, I know I've been bad about my "a couple times a week" posting on here. And I promise there is actually a reason - I don't actually know if I want to continue this. So I'll go ahead and lay out my pros and cons - maybe getting it all out will help me make my decision.

To Blog:


  1. I haven't found many other blogs that start at the beginning with Celiac. And many gluten free blogs aren't about Celiac at all - just intolerance and/or healthy living.
  2. I like sharing recipes (mostly because I like feeding people, and if you're not in my apartment, sharing a recipe is the closest I can get).
  3. It helps me organize my thoughts.
  4. It helps me feel better when I'm craving cake and going out of my mind because I can't even have olive oil mayo (modified food starch - hooray).
Not to Blog:

  1. I am not one to go spreading my issues all over the internet. Anyone who reads this who's one of my Facebook friends will note that I didn't post anything about my illness for the year and a half before I had a diagnosis. I didn't post about my surgery, the crippling pain, nausea, exhaustion, or the fact that most days I went to work, came home with barely enough energy to read for half an hour, and collapsed into bed. And I only started posting after my diagnosis because I figured that if I had no idea Celiac symptoms looked like that, other people might not either. To me, constantly posting about an illness just feels like a bid for pity and attention, and I don't want to be that kind of person.
  2. I'm not really breaking any new ground here - there are other gluten free blogs that give recipes, food reviews, etc.
  3. I have about 5 readers, and one is my mom. 
  4. Alternately, if I get more readers, posting is one more thing to worry about - I won't want to let anyone down who does read regularly.
So, I have an equal number of pros and cons, but that doesn't mean the choices are equal. I'm going to sit on this for a little while, and see how it goes. I am having my first go at gluten free brownies today (from a mix), so if they're really bad (or really good), I'll probably end up caving and just keep posting. After all, if I don't save you from bad brownies, who will?

No comments:

Post a Comment