Saturday, November 10, 2012

Laughed So Hard I Cried - Or Maybe I'm Just in Mourning for Cake...

So, I've been grocery shopping about 10 times since I found out I have Celiac (note - clearly these weren't full shopping trips. I go when I realize I need a few things. I should probably work on that). I've gotten some wonderful things (like Apple Cinnamon Chex - all Chex are gluten free), and some things that almost made me throw up (like Enjoy Life caramel apple chewy bars. I swear, they're made of sawdust, glue, and just a pinch of brimstone). It's still a bit disheartening - every time I see "modified food starch" it makes me want to Hulk out and smash the aisle. 

So it was wonderful tonight when (completely unexpectedly), I got to have a laugh about being gluten free. Mike and I were watching "John Pinette: Still Hungry." I LOVE John Pinette. (If you've never seen his stand up regarding France and Italy, you haven't properly laughed. If you do watch it, know that the Italian waiter is EXACTLY like my grandmother and great-grandma).

After his usual food, Bed Bath & Beyond, and other jokes, John announces that a doctor told him he's allergic to wheat and should avoid gluten. Best quote? "I said, 'what has gluten in it, pray tell?' You know what has gluten in it? EVERYTHING!!!!!" From realizing how much he can't eat, to describing how gluten free bread broke his toaster, the whole thing had me cracking up. I definitely needed some comic relief, and this was it. I didn't even get jealous that he can still eat barley. Here's a link to the first part of it on YouTube. For the whole video, I recommend watching the entire special - it's wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment