Tuesday, January 22, 2013

To Be Healthy, Naturally

Today, I took another step in getting my insides to stop behaving like coked-up capuchin monkeys in a ball pit. (I may or may not still have some issues from my horrible primate behavior class in college.) I went to see a naturopath. Now, I'd like to preface the rest of this post with two things:

1) To each their own, but I would never use natural medicine as a substitute for a doctor - only a supplement. The naturopath can't diagnose or prescribe.

2) I didn't find this one on the internet, or just flip open the phone book and point. I went to one that actual people I know (not just a friend of a friend of a friend) have gone to and seen actual results with. It's important to research and get references.

With that out of the way, I loved it. I loved her. First of all, she spent nearly two hours with me - getting history, doing muscle resistance tests, etc. Probably the best part, though, was the emotional release. Some people think it's hooey, but I felt way better after than I had the rest of the day. So to those people, I say that I don't care if I'm happy because of a placebo effect or because of science. Also, I believe it works, and that's good enough for me.

And I definitely needed it today. See, yesterday was amazing. My pain level never got above a 2, I woke up early, I had energy, and I didn't feel like I'd been up for 24 hours all day. Then, around 9:30, I hit a wall. My whole body ached, and I was falling-over exhausted. This morning, I felt like the wall hit me back. I couldn't focus, I was so exhausted I was nauseous, and the pain was back full force. So to be able to do something - especially something not involving drugs - that made me feel that much better was wonderful.

I've been given two supplements (neither of which she pushed, and neither of which needs to be re-ordered when I'm finished with them), along with some articles and reading on enzymes, minerals, deficiencies, and self-treatment. That, for me, is the kicker. Anyone who's willing to show you how to do the things they do for yourself is someone who wants you better and isn't just out to grab your money. She even gave me a site that sells supplements/vitamins cheaply that she's not affiliated with.

Mostly though, I really liked her as a person. By the end of my session, I felt like I'd known her for years. I even hugged her when I left. I guess the lesson here is this - don't limit yourself. I mean, I'm not going to start wearing crystals and chanting, but it's good to explore a range of options when it comes to your health. Remember - the body wants to heal itself. But it may take a few different things working together to help it do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment