Monday, October 29, 2012

Flour, flour everywhere, and not a speck to eat...

One of the things I was most upset about when I found out I have Celiac was losing my spontaneity. Gone were the days of "you wanna just order out?" After all, the Chinese place might be using soy sauce with gluten in it, burgers have buns, fries can be coated, and pizza is made of wheat. Lots of it. So I was really happy to find out that Dominos has a gluten free pizza. Until today.

On Saturday, we went to a party. They ordered pizza and, in deference to me, got it from Dominos so I could get a gluten free crust. It was delicious. Saturday night, I had stabbing pains in my abdomen, but I figured it might be from some veggies I'd had earlier (my IBS gives me trouble when I have too much fiber). Yesterday, I had the leftovers from Saturday, and was sick to my stomach. I still hadn't quite put it together and was back and forth between a few things (sure, I probably should have figured it out then, but who wants to give up being able to grab pizza once in awhile?).

Then, today, my boss bought us all lunch. Again, we got Dominos so I could have a gluten free crust. Again, it was delicious. And then tonight I was obnoxiously sick. I mean my insides holding kick-boxing matches with steel-toed boots kind of sick. The only thing in common those three days is the pizza. When I looked on Dominos site, I saw a warning that their gluten free pizza is prepared in their regular kitchen, where they prepare everything else. The warning even states that they don't recommend their pizza for anyone with Celiac.

Mind you, I don't expect Dominos to buy space for another kitchen so I can eat pizza. But the gluten-free point is kind of defeated if the whole thing gets coated with flour during the prep process. Long story short (even though I've already told the long version), if you're just avoiding gluten to be healthy, you might be OK with this. You'll also be ok with this if you're just eating gluten free to make it easier on your wife (even if my husband does hate Dominos). I know people who are. But if you have Celiac, you might be better off buying Amy's (also prepped in a facility that processes wheat, but I had no reaction), or making your own crust. Great alternative? This recipe - with a portabello mushroom as your crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment